Over the Top
The World's Largest Forest Research Crane Is Helping UW Students Unlock Secrets of Old Growth—Including Possible Relief From Global Warming
By Sandra Hines
The Way We Were
Laughs, Legends and Lore Gleaned From the UW Memories Project
The UW Took a Risk When It Decided to Build Its Tacoma Campus in a Ghost Town. Today UWT Is Part of a Critical Mass That Is Transforming the City of Destiny
By Beth Luce
It's Tough to Be a Rookie Teacher in Today's Classrooms. Thanks to a $5 Million Grant, the UW Is Giving Education Students the Coaching Power to Hit a Home Run.
By Jon Marmor & Steve Hill
- Gilbertson Out as Football Coach; Search Begins for Replacement. Keith Gilbertson stepped down at the end of the season as a national search begins.
- Around the Solar System in 90 Days? A new method of space travel could dramatically cut the time it takes to reach Mars.
- A Nose for Science: Buck, '75, Wins Nobel for Decoding Genetics of Smell. The woman who helped explain our sense of smell woke up to the sweet smell of success.
- Study Says UW Among Top 25 in the World. The University of Washington ranks 20th in academic and research performance.
- Lawmakers Face 'Urgency' as They Make Funding Decisions for Higher Ed. Facing a $1 billion budget shortfall, the Legislature faces difficult choices.
- Enrollment Nears Record; Diversity Improves. With total enrollment near record levels, the UW saw an increase in students of color.
- Petersen Honored for 25 Years of Service. Donald E. Petersen, '46, received the Gates Volunteer Service Award for his volunteer work with UW.
- NCAA Extends Minor Penalties Over Infractions. The NCAA extended minor penalties on the UW athletic program after it looked into charges of gambling by some UW coaches and staff and investigated improper use of a boat for recruiting purposes.
- Milestones. Updates, Appointments, and Honors.
- Inside Job: Alumni Get Free Help with Career Transitions, Networking. Career Discovery Week in January offers special workshops for alumni.
- Endless Campus: The Learning Just Never Stops. From natural disasters to distant planets, the UW's new Endless Campus program promises something for every alumnus.
- Support Men's Hoops—and UWAA. Show your Husky Pride and receive a special T-shirt designed by David Horsey.
- UWAA Clubs and Chapters
- UWAA Events Calendar
- UW Alumni Association Board of Trustees
- How to Join the UW Alumni Association
Poets, actors and other quirky characters take over the stage for the 1974 Spring Art Fair held on "Red Square." Left to right: Alumni Association President Bob Redman, Faculy Senate Chair William Matchett, ASUW President Doug Anderson and Daily Editor David Horsey. File photo.