University of Washington Alumni Association
Meet. Learn. Cheer. Travel. Act.
Distinguished Alumni Veteran Award
The Distinguished Alumni Veteran Award (DAVA) is given to a living UW Alumnus Veteran who made a positive impact on their local, national, or international community; the University of Washington and/or veteran's communities.
Specific criteria include:
1. Definition of an alumnus:
An alumnus is defined as a former student who received a Bachelor's Degree; a former student who received a graduate degree after not less than two years of resident study; or a former student who, in the opinion of the selection committee, is qualified for the honor.
2. Definition of a veteran:
According to federal law a veteran is any person, who served honorably on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States.
3. Definition of "service:"
Service is defined as having a significant impact on the veteran's community through volunteer (unpaid) service, or through their career.
4. Stature of service:
- What has the nominee accomplished in service to their respective communities?
- Has this service been otherwise acknowledged by colleagues and leaders? If so, how?
- What public recognition has been received at the local, regional, national or international level?
- How has the nominee demonstrated a continuity of interest in some form toward the UW and/or veterans community?
5. Must be present to accept award:
Award winner must be able to come to the University to receive the recognition, both in November at the UW Veteran's Day event, and the University Awards of Excellence Ceremony in June.