University of Washington Alumni Association
Meet. Learn. Cheer. Travel. Act.
Hurricane Sandy relief opportunities
Our hearts are with all of our Huskies impacted by Hurricane Sandy. In the wake of widespread distress, we set up this page to help you connect with fellow Huskies on the East Coast and get involved with recovery efforts.
Connect with regional UW groups
Communities across the Northeast were affected by the storm, particularly Huskies in New York and New Jersey. Get in touch with fellow alums by e-mailing chapter leaders and following the alumni networks on Facebook.
- New York: Chapter page | Facebook group
- Boston: Chapter page
- Philadelphia: Chapter page | Facebook group
- Washington, D.C.: Chapter page | Facebook group
There is no shortage of ways to help in the wake of the storm. Here are a few resources for getting involved and aiding recovery.
- New! Join the Pac-12 Holiday Happy Hour and Hurricane Sandy Fundraiser on Nov. 28 at Johnny Utah's in New York City. The event includes drink specials and the tree lighting ceremony at Rockefeller Center, and all attendees are asked to bring a $5 donation to aid Hurricane Sandy victims.
- Are you a UW or Washington State employee? Make a donation via the Washington State Combined Fund Drive.
- The American Red Cross' Safe and Well checker lets you make sure registered friends and loved ones are okay.
- Check out some volunteer efforts, courtesy of CNN.com.
- Get involved, stay up-to-date, and get prepared at American Red Cross: Greater New York Region.
- If you're in New York, visit NYC Service for volunteer opportunities.
Connect with higher education
Our friends in higher education aren't immune from the effects of Sandy. Find out how to get involved with the recovery efforts at these New York universities.
- Columbia University links to a variety of organizations and efforts for those interesting in helping.
- NYU has information about local volunteer opportunities and campus-led efforts to aid in recovery.
- Stay up-to-date on Sandy's aftermath at the State University of New York.
- Atlantic Cape Community College in New Jersey has established the Sandy Relief Fund for Atlantic Cape Students to provide assistance for students who need to replace books, technology, clothing, and food. Make a donation to the fund.
- Hunter College is hosting a city evacuation shelter. Sign up to volunteer this week at the shelter.