Skip to main content

Important laws and policies for undocumented students

There are various laws and policies that directly impact undocumented students at national and state levels. We encourage you to review the information on this page and visit the websites below for up-to-date information.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA is a program under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that temporarily suspends deportation of some unauthorized individuals. DACA was announced on June 15, 2012. Students who are granted DACA can be employed legally in the US for up to two years (if they demonstrate “an economic necessity for employment”). If you receive a work authorization permit through DACA, you’ll also receive a Social Security Number.

If you’re thinking about applying for DACA, make sure to get all the right information you need before you submit the application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If you need help filling out the forms, review the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project’s DREAMer Resources, which include information on how to apply for and renew DACA.

Learn more at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

In-State Tuition & Financial Aid

Access to financial aid as well as qualification for in-state tuition rates for undocumented varies greatly across the United States. In Washington State, undocumented students, if they meet certain criteria, can qualify for both in-state tuition rates (HB-1079) and state-funded financial aid (WASFA).

If you are interested in learning about other state’s tuition laws for undocumented students, you can visit United We Dream’s page on Tuition Equity for Undocumented Students.