University of Washington Policy Directory

Print This Page
*Formerly part of the University Handbook
Administrative Policy Statement

Departmental Relocations

(Approved by the Executive Director of Health Sciences Administration by authority of Executive Order No. 1; the Provost by authority of Executive Order No. 4; the Executive Vice President by authority of Administrative Order No. 9; and the Vice Provost and Vice President for Computing and Communications by authority of Executive Order No. 63)

1.  Scope

These guidelines have been developed to make moving as convenient and trouble-free as possible. These guidelines do not apply to major construction or renovation projects administered by the Capital Projects Office; in those instances, a project manager is assigned to coordinate the moves and departments should consult the project manager for information and advice.

2.  Coordination of Departmental Moves

A.   Funding the Departmental Move

The primary responsibility for coordination of departmentally initiated moves rests with the individual departments. Most costs connected with moving and installation of equipment will be charged to the departmental budget. Services provided by the Capital and Space Planning Office, the Equipment Inventory Office, and the Capital Projects Office's Design Services are described in this policy statement.

It is the responsibility of the individual departments and/or colleges and schools to provide sufficient funds for whatever repairs and remodeling are necessary. Under some circumstances, funds for remodeling projects costing more than $2,500 may be available from unallocated reserves in the Minor Repairs portion of the central administration's capital budget.

Requests and justifications for central administration funding must be sent to the Capital and Space Planning Office, Box 351263, 206-616-7442, with the endorsement of the dean's or vice president's office. When the budget has been established and work details approved by the department, Design Services will coordinate the construction schedule with the appropriate Physical Plant shops.

B.   Appointing a Coordinator for the Departmental Move

Once a department has received official notification from the central administration on the space assigned to the department, the department should appoint one person as the moving coordinator. This person will complete the following activities:

1) Notification—Notify all employees of the move, the tentative time schedule, and tentative room assignments.

2) Floor Plans—Obtain floor plans from the Facilities Services Records Vault, 206-221-4380, and, if necessary, arrange to tour the new office space. (Departments moving into space occupied by other units are encouraged to use discretion when contacting the present occupants.)

3) Cost Estimates—Request cost estimates from the Capital Projects Office, Box 352215, 206-543-8200, if minor repairs or remodeling are desired in the new office space. The department should request information and costs for structural, electrical, ventilation, and any other adjustments necessary to accommodate special space requirements for equipment, libraries, workrooms, computers, etc.

4) Additional Equipment and Furniture—Arrange to obtain needed equipment and furniture through the Purchasing Department, Box 351110, 206-543-5810, or the Surplus Property Office, Box 355210, 206-685-1573. Contact Capital Projects Office's Design Services, Interior Design, Box 352215, 206-543-5200, for assistance in choosing new furniture, carpeting, and similar items as necessary.

5) Advance Notice of Move—Ensure sufficient lead time for notification of campus departments in order to minimize disruption and increase efficiency in campus moves. The lead time may vary with the location and magnitude of the move. For example, the Property and Transport Services Office requires only two weeks advance notice whereas the installation and planning of communications equipment may require six weeks to six months. Additional activities that need to be coordinated prior to the move are room assignments, the location of equipment and supplies, and address and box number adjustments. This includes notifying offices such as Payroll and Purchasing of the new box number. This will ensure that important, time-critical reports are not misdirected during the move.

6) Moving Inventorial Equipment—Obtain a listing of inventorial equipment from the Equipment Inventory Office, Box 355915, 206-543-4663. Develop and disseminate packing procedures. Use the Property Activity Request form as follows:
  • Summarize the equipment to be moved (for example, 12 computer workstations, 3 printers, etc.) and complete a Property Activity Request form for this equipment.

  • Use a separate Property Activity Request form to specifically identify material and equipment to be disposed of through the Surplus Property Office, Box 355210, 206-685-1573.

  • Use another Property Activity Request form to indicate any department transfers that occur as a result of the move.

  • Send copies of the Property Activity Request form (as noted on the form) to the Equipment Inventory Office, Box 355915, the Surplus Property Office, Box 355210, and the Property and Transport Services Office, Box 355210, as appropriate. Note: The department should enter location and custodial changes directly on the Online Asset Information System (OASIS) if the equipment item(s) being moved are within the department's level of online security. If these changes have already occurred in OASIS and the item(s) are not being surplused, the Property Activity Request forms need not be sent to the Equipment Inventory Office, unless the accountable University department's organization code(s) require changing.
The Equipment Inventory Office will automatically change building locations for all equipment moved and delete equipment listed as sent to the Surplus Property Office. The department should complete a physical inventory as soon as possible following the move. Equipment room locations will be updated according to this inventory. Several months' lead time is also necessary for disposal of federally owned equipment. Coordinate this action through the Equipment Inventory Office's Federal Program Coordinator.

7) Security Matters—Consider security matters connected with the move. Advance arrangements should be made to relocate security alarm systems to the new site. If a security system is being considered for the new site the Crime Prevention Unit of the University Police is available to advise and recommend a security system that meets the particular needs of the department. Staff should be present at both locations during the actual move; if this is not feasible, the unattended offices should be securely locked.

8) Environmental Health and Safety Matters—Consider environmental health and safety matters pertaining to the move, such as transporting hazardous materials and the location of equipment within the office or laboratory setting. Contact the Environmental Health and Safety Department, 206-543-7262, for a list of Environmental Health and Safety Considerations relating to moving into new facilities.

9) Computing & Communications (C&C) Concerns—Contact Network Installations, Box 354150, 206-543-5068, or via email at, for ethernet or other computer cabling relocations. Contact Communication Technologies, Box 354150, 206-543-0133, or via email at, for telephone or other communication service relocations.

In the event of telephone or other communication service relocations, normal installation charges apply. Installation charges are generally dependent on the type and extent of the service(s) involved, and on the nature of the future facilities.

Current C&C policy states that once an ethernet connection is installed it may be used at the installed location without recurring charge. No charges will apply for departments that move to a location already wired for ethernet when no additional connections are required. If facilities are required at the new location, and/or remodeling requires moving an existing connection, normal installation charges will apply.

3.  Coordination of Central Administration—Requested Moves

Occasionally, the Provost may request that a department exchange some of its existing space for comparable space. When the department and the central administration have mutually agreed to such a move, the responsibility for coordinating the move rests with both the department and the Capital and Space Planning Office.

The Capital and Space Planning Office will assist the department in obtaining cost estimates for any remodeling that has been agreed upon prior to the reassignment of space by the Provost, including such items as new office signs, telephones, and minor repairs or remodeling.

As with the departmentally initiated moves discussed in Section 2, the Capital Projects Office's Design Services will supply the department, via the Capital and Space Planning Office, with cost estimates for any remodeling and will coordinate the actual construction. Following the completion of the repairs, or if no remodeling is required, the department will coordinate the moving schedule with the Property and Transport Services Office. While the usual moving expenses associated with the move will be paid for by the central administration after review and approval by the Capital and Space Planning Office, the individual department is still responsible for internal office coordination, including:

  • Coordinating the new office assignments.

  • Completing the Property Activity Request form.

  • Packing office contents into moving boxes and marking individual pieces of equipment with the room number where it is to be delivered, etc.

  • Notifying various campus services: the Parking Services Office to arrange for new parking assignments; building coordinators to update building directories; and the Mailing Services Office to be assigned new address(es) and box number(s).

December 1997.