- "Opt Out" of receiving pre-screened credit card offers by calling 1.888.567.8688.
- Order a copy of your credit report frequently (www.annualcreditreport.com).
- Remove your name from mailing, telephone and email solicitation lists.
- Mailing/Telephone Solicitation:
Mail Preference Service OR
Telephone Preference Service
Attn: Preference Service Manager
Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 3079
Grand Central Station, NY 10163
- National Do-Not-Call Registry:
By telephone, call 1.888.382.1222
(Home & cell phone numbers)
- Pre-approved credit cards:
Call toll-free 1.888.567.8688
(will be requested to provide social security # for processing)
To file a complaint about suspected violations, email
- Place a continuous credit "fraud alert" on your credit report.
- Get a locking mailbox for incoming mail and use a USPS drop box for outgoing.
- Place a hold on your mail when going on vacation.
- Have banking checks mailed to your financial institution.
- Keep a list of all your account numbers and the telephone numbers in case of loss/theft.
If You are a Victim of Identity Theft
- Close all affected accounts immediately. Request that they indicate "closed at consumer's request."
- Call police and file a report. Get a copy for your records and to submit as proof to all creditors.
- Contact all creditors/banks/credit reporting agencies.
- Complete an I.D. Theft Affidavit.
- Place a "fraud alert" on your credit report that requires creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts.
- Stop payment on outstanding checks.
- Request new ATM/credit cards.
- Change all passwords and PINS.
- Contact your Postal Inspection Service if you believe your mail has been tampered with.
- Set up a folder to keep a detailed history of the crime. Keep a log of all your contacts and make copies of all documents.
- Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to see if another license was issued in your name.
ID Theft Resources
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Federal Trade Commission 1.877.IDTHEFT
Internal Revenue Service
Social Security Administration 1.800.269-0271
Social Security Adminstration Fraud Line 800.269-.0271
US Postal Service
Washington State Attorney General's Office 1.800.551.4636
3 Major Credit Reporting Agencies