- Never leave your bike unlocked even for a minute. Take the time to make sure that your bike is properly secured. Fit the lock through the frame and both tires.
- Don't park in dark or infrequently traveled areas.
The majority of the bicycles stolen on campus are locked with cable locks.
- Use a U-Lock instead of a cable lock. U-Locks are solid steel and are very hard to cut. The cable locks can be cut easily. If you prefer to have a lock that is flexible like the cable lock, make sure that it is 3/8" in diameter. You can purchase locks at Hall Health (at a discounted price) or at any of the local bike shops in town.
- Don't secure your bike with a cheap lock.
- Always secure your bike to a bike rack or solid object. Secure both wheels and frame.
- Remember that locks are only a deterrent.
- Report all suspicious persons loitering around bike racks.
If it can be removed, it can be stolen!
- Quick release tires and adjustable bicycle seats are good examples of parts that are stolen easily. You may ask, "Why would anyone want to steal a bicycle seat?" To sell to someone who has a bicycle without a seat! It's an ugly cycle.
- Engrave identifying markings on anything removable to aid in recovery, but better to secure your bicycle parts so that they cannot be removed easily.
- Remove the quick releases altogether and bolt the parts onto the bicycle; this may make changing a flat tire harder but will slow down and deter thieves. Or remove quick release parts when you park and take the parts with you. Or use Loctite Red Thread locker; you will need heat and a wrench to remove the bolt.
- To protect your wheels, always lock them with a strong lock.
Check out the UWPD's engraver (return within 72 hours) to place identifying marks on bikes or electronics!
Registering your bike can improve the chances of it being recovered if it is stolen.
ASUW Bike Shop
HUB 103, Box 352238
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-2238
Located on the first floor of the HUB, down the north hall.
Open from 10AM - 5PM Monday through Friday
5601 24th Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
Gregg's Greenlake Cycle
7007 Woodlawn Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98115
2 W Roy St
Seattle, WA 98119
Montlake Bicycle Shop
2223 24 Ave E
Seattle, WA 98112
1007 NE Boat Street
Seattle, WA 98105
222 Yale Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109-5429
5209 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
Velo Bike Shop
1535 11th Ave
Seattle, WA 98122