Skip navigation - Jump to page content

UTemp Staffing
Temporary Employee Orientation

The Basics

Temporary Assignments

Temporary job assignments fill vacancies for absences, sick leave or vacation, as well as during peak workload periods and pending recruitments. Duration of job assignments can range in length from half a day to a week, a month, or several months, but are limited to no more than 950 accumulated hours per year. If you are identified as a match for a currently available temporary assignment, you will be contacted directly. However, there is no guarantee of placement in a temporary position.

To ensure you will continue to be considered for temp opportunities, we request that you check in with us periodically to let us know you are still available and interested in working as a temp employee. It is appropriate to contact us every few weeks, or as your availability changes, either by email ( or phone (206-543-3652).

Sometimes departments provide end dates for temporary assignments, but most assignments are “indefinite” and have estimated end dates. Length of assignments are determined according to the needs of the requesting departments; therefore, end dates are subject to change and are not a guarantee of employment.

Getting to the UW

UW Commuter Services is a great resource for helping you better understand your commute options. With 57,000 students, staff, and faculty making the trip to the UW every day, and with parking being limited and expensive, we strongly encourage you to make use of alternative modes of transportation. Once placed on a temporary assignment, you may be eligible to purchase a quarterly UW FlexPass, which allows for unlimited use of public transportation. Contact our office for more information on purchasing a FlexPass.

Occasional Drivers

Need your car once or twice a week for after work meetings or picking up the kids? Purchase Individual Commuter Tickets (discounted price with your FlexPass).

Parking Permits

If you can't take advantage of the FlexPass or are unable to get here without driving alone, parking permits may be purchased at Parking Services.

Parking Services

The Parking Office office has current information about parking fees and procedures on its web page including information about carpooling and vanpooling.


Zipcar, a private membership-based car sharing program, provides you access to a new-model vehicle or pick-up for personal and business use. Leave your car at home and use Zipcar on days you have meetings or errands.


For many commuters, biking is the quickest and easiest way to get to the UW. We have excellent bicycle facilities and the biking web page has information about racks, lockers and showers. With a U-PASS you can extend your trip by taking your bike on the bus.

Live close enough to walk to campus? Try out a healthy commute. It's simple, easy and inexpensive.

UW Maps & Directions

UW Seattle Access Guide for Persons with Disabilities.

Appropriate Attire

Dress requirements at the UW vary, with some departments expecting highly professional attire and other departments allowing relatively casual clothing. In most cases, temporary employees are expected to wear business casual attire on their first day of work; thereafter, dress should conform to departmental standards.

Reporting to Work

When you are placed on an assignment, you will be given a contact person to whom you are to report. Most likely this person will be your on-site supervisor. Your on-site supervisor will orient you to the department, designate break and lunch times, verify your work hours by approving your timesheet, and authorize any absences.

If you are working on the Seattle campus, to find a building location see the Campus Map.

Attendance and Punctuality

Importance of Punctuality.The department you are assigned to expects you to be prompt and adhere to your assigned work schedule. If there is an emergency and you are unable to report to work on time, contact your supervisor as early as possible to let him/her know. If you are unable to reach your supervisor, contact us at 206-543-3652.

What if I cannot make it in to work? If you are too ill to come to work, you must phone your supervisor as early as possible. If you are unable to reach your supervisor, contact us at 206-543-3652. If you are calling us before office hours, leave a brief voicemail explaining who you are and why you are unable to make it in to work. Someone from our office will attempt to follow up with your supervisor on your behalf.

Emergency Conditions. In the event of snow or adverse weather or other emergency conditions, call the UW's information line or alert services for up to the minute information about the operations of the UW campuses:

Please note: cancellation of classes does not always mean that the University and clinics are closed. Make sure to talk with your supervisor regarding whether or not your temp services will be needed in the event of inclement weather.

Work Performance

All temporary employees are evaluated by their departmental supervisor at the end of an assignment. This information is considered when making future work assignments and may be used in consideration of regular, full time employment opportunities. Unprofessional conduct may adversely affect future assignments or result in dismissal.

UW NetID, My UW, and ESS


Your UW NetID (with password) is your personal identification for using UW computing resources. It is the first part of your UW e-mail address and, with your password, is required of UW employees who use central computing services.

A UW NetID is required to access many additional campus computing resources, including general usage computing labs, email, Employee Self Service (ESS) (see below), and MyUW (see below).

Set up your UW NetID now.

MyUW and Employee Self Service

MyUW is a personal portal to UW services that is available to UW students, faculty, staff, and alumni with UW NetIDs. MyUW gives you access to specially tailored web resources based on your role at the University and your personal preferences. You can personalize MyUW by selecting information from a menu provided and add your own bookmarks.

If you select the Faculty/Staff tab, you can access your personal payroll and benefits information via the Employee Self Service (ESS) webpages.

Via ESS you can view and/or update your:

Personalizing MyUW to suit your specific needs can help you do your work more easily and effectively.

Information Resources

UWIN is the University's "internal" home page. It is a great resource for accessing administrative information you might need to get your job done. A good way to access information is to use the "search" and "directories" links that appear on the top right corner of most of the UW's administrative webpages.


As a University of Washington temporary employee, you may become eligible for employer-provided insurance if you meet the following requirements:

If you become eligible while working on a temporary assignment, you will be notified by the UW Benefits Office. Once notified, it is your responsibility to contact the Benefits Office and complete the required paperwork. View more information about benefits eligibility.

Listed below are additional benefits which may interest you:

Union Representation

For detailed information about what positions are covered by a collective bargaining agreement, visit Temporary Employees in Bargaining Units.

Temporary Employment Limit

Temporary employees are limited to working no more than 950 hours during the 12-month period that begins with the employee's original University of Washington (UW) temporary employment date. Once this date is established, it does not change even if a person leaves UW employment and later returns to accept another temporary appointment with the same or a different department. All hours worked in multiple and/or consecutive appointments at the UW are combined and counted toward the 950-hour limit, regardless of whether the job is through UTemp Staffing, another UW department, or an outside agency. Overtime hours worked are not included in calculating time worked toward the 950-hour limit. A temp employee’s hours accumulation starts over upon reaching the anniversary of his/her temporary employment date.

When a temporary employed by UTemp Staffing has worked approximately 750 hours, our office calculates an estimated “last work day” based on the number of hours remaining. We send a letter to both the employee and the on-site supervisor notifying them of the last day the employee is eligible to work. This allows approximately one month’s advance notice before the ending of the assignment. Temporary employees who reach their maximum 950 hours eligibility will become eligible for reassignment after reaching their temp employment anniversary date.

Pay and Overtime

Temporary employees are paid on an hourly basis. We offer competitive pay that varies depending on the nature of the work being performed. Paycheck deductions are made for Social Security, Medical Aid (workers compensation insurance) and federal income tax. Temporary employees are paid at their regular rate for work performed on holidays. Authorized overtime is paid at the rate of time-and-a-half for work in excess of 40 hours per week (Sunday through Saturday). All overtime must be preapproved and scheduled by the supervisor on the job.


After our payroll coordinator has set you up to use the UW Online Timesheet, you may log into the Employee Self Service website, click the Timesheet link, and begin entering your hours.

You must submit your timesheet at the end of each pay period (the 15th and last day of the month) in order to be paid. At the end of each pay period, go to the Employee Self Service website and click the Review and Submit Timesheet button at the bottom of your timesheet to submit the timesheet to your approver/supervisor.

Entering Time on UW Online Timesheet

UW Online Timesheet Help

Helpful Hint

It is the responsibility of the employee to make sure timesheets are submitted on time. Late timesheet submissions will not be processed until the following pay period.

Sample Timesheet

timesheet example


timesheet example


Paychecks are distributed on the 25th for days worked the 1st through the 15th of the month, and on the 10th for days worked the 16th through the end of the month. If the 10th or 25th falls on a weekend or holiday, the pay day is on the nearest business day. Visit the Payroll Department website and look under "Schedules & Deadlines" for links to "Paydays". We are unable to provide advance or emergency checks under any circumstances.

How Do I Get My Paycheck?The University encourages all employees to have direct deposit. You can sign up for direct deposit on the Employee Self Service website, under the Earnings tab. For additional information about direct deposit, view the following information about Direct Deposit.

It can take one to two pay cycles for your direct deposit to take effect. In the meantime, here are your options for picking up your paycheck:

You can view your payroll history and other useful information at the Employee Self Service website.

Assignment Completion

My assignment is over... now what? Call us three days prior to your assignment end date and let us know if you would like to be considered for another assignment. A staffing coordinator will call you when other opportunities are available.

What if I can't complete my assignment? It is very important that you keep your commitment to work the duration of your assignment. However, if you must end an assignment, we’d prefer that you give us as much notice as possible, but require a minimum of three days notice. You should give notice to your supervisor and your staffing coordinator.

Final Timesheet: Don’t forget to submit your final timesheet! If your assignment ends prior to the end of the pay period, you do not need to wait until the end of the pay period to submit your timesheet. It is preferred that you submit your timesheet on your last day worked.