Skip navigation - Jump to page content
UWHR to launch new website at end of July! Learn more about the upcoming launch.

Benefits Orientation
Life and AD&D Insurance

Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
(AD&D) Insurance

Term Life insurance provides a lump sum of money to your beneficiaries if you die. It is intended to help replace lost income. Life insurance covers you whether you die of natural or accidental causes.

AD&D insurance provides a lump sum payment if you die as the direct result of an accident or if you lose a portion of your body because of an accident. If you have life insurance and AD&D, and you die in an accident, both benefits are paid to your beneficiaries. This is called "double indemnity." If you or any dependents have AD&D and lose a portion of your body as the result of an accident, then you will be the beneficiary of the claim.

The UW provides each eligible employee with $25,000 of term life insurance and $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at no cost to the employee.

You can choose supplemental coverage for yourself and your eligible dependents by paying additional monthly premiums.

AD&D coverage never requires any proof of good health, and can be added or dropped at any time.

View the Life and AD&D web page to learn about this important benefit. View the Life Insurance Premiums web page to see how much the insurance will cost.

Optional Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance Enrollment

Enrollment in supplemental term life and AD&D insurance is optional. If you wish to enroll, complete the following steps.

  1. Download and print the PEBB Life Insurance Enrollment Form.
  2. Carefully read the entire 5-page form! It's packed with useful enrollment information, such as:
    • definitions and examples of coverage,
    • premium rates,
    • suggested beneficiary designations,
    • non-smoker certification, and
    • an evidence of insurability form (if needed).
  3. Decide on the amount of coverage you want for yourself, your spouse or same-sex domestic partner, and/or your dependents.
  4. Complete sections 1 through 5 of the form.
  5. If it has been more than 60 days from your benefits eligibility date, you must also complete the Evidence of Insurability Form for you and/or your spouse or same-sex domestic partner.
  6. Sign the form(s).
  7. Keep a copy of the form(s) for your records.
  8. Return the original copy to the UW Benefits Office, Box 359556.

Next - Long Term Disability Insurance