Skip navigation - Jump to page content
UWHR to launch new website at end of July! Learn more about the upcoming launch.

Crediting for Previous UW or other Washington State Employment


  • Understand
  • Eligibility


Employees who have worked previously for the University or for another state agency in monthly-paid positions are eligible to receive credit toward a higher annual leave accrual rate based upon overall length of state service. Employees must have 48 months or more of qualifying past and present employment before the annual leave accrual rate is adjusted. These employees may also be eligible to reinstate their previous sick leave balance.

Employees who have worked for a public educational service district are eligible to have their current qualifying sick leave balances transferred to the University of Washington when they accept University of Washington employment without a break in service.


All employee classifications that have annual leave accrual rates that increase upon overall length of state service are able to apply prior service credit toward a higher annual leave accrual rate.

Former state employees who are rehired as UW classified non-union employees within five (5) years of separation are eligible to have their previous sick leave balance reinstated.

Former state employees who are rehired as UW contract classified staff, professional staff or librarians within three (3) years of separation are eligible to have their previous sick leave balance reinstated.


Newly hired staff employees with previous Washington state service or returning University employees should take the following steps in order to request crediting for previous University or other Washington state employment:

  1. Download and complete the "Request for Crediting of Previous Washington State Employment" form.
  2. Send the completed form to their department's Human Resource Operations office for processing.

After receiving the completed request, Human Resources staff will research and verify the employee’s previous service. Once all needed information is collected, a copy of the finalized crediting form will be sent to the employee, as well as to the department.

Both you and the employee should ensure that the employee’s work/leave record is accurately adjusted to reflect the information provided on the completed crediting form.

Prior service credit should be properly documented and recorded in the employee’s work/leave record. As a supervisor, it is important that you ensure that employee records, including prior service credit changes, are properly documented either through the Online Work Leave System (OWLS) or an authorized alternative system.

The crediting form is a supporting document, and must be filed and retained according to the retention schedule. If employees are not eligible for crediting at the time the form is submitted, the form will indicate when the request may be resubmitted.


Prior state service credit can affect annual leave accrual rates and may allow for reinstatement of sick leave. In order for sick leave to be reinstated and for annual leave accrual rates to be adjusted due to prior state service credit, it must be properly recorded in OWLS.