Fixed Duration Appointment
See the About Fixed Duration Appointments page if you are not already familiar with the requirements and limitations for fixed duration appointments.
Criminal Background Checks
Some UW positions are considered Security/Safety Sensitive. The successful candidate for such a position must have a criminal conviction history check conducted after a conditional offer of employment has been made and accepted.
See the Criminal Background Check web page for details.
If your position is "security/safety sensitive" discuss the background check requirements with your employment specialist.
1. Enter your requisition into UWHIRES. The following fields are required:
- Payroll title — choose the appropriate contract classified payroll title and job code that most closely matches the work the appointed individual will be performing. Your employment specialist (ES) is available to assist in determining the appropriate job classification.
- Designate your position as being security/safety sensitive, if it meets one of more of the University's criteria. Finalists for security/safety sensitive positions must undergo a post job offer criminal background check.
- Location — select the location where the individual will work.
- Employment program — select: "Fixed Duration Appointment-Leave of Absence," or "Fixed Duration appointment – Project." If you are not sure, select "Fixed Duration Appointment – Project."
- Proposed salary — enter the on-step monthly amount you would like to pay the identified candidate.
- Position description — provide a complete description of the duties and responsibilities to be to be performed by the appointed individual. *If you are a UWMC hiring manager, contact your ES to receive the standardized job description performance evaluation template.
- Requirements — describe the required skills necessary to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Less than 12 Months Dates From __ to __ — specify the appointment’s start and end dates.
- Notes — specify the reason for creating the fixed duration appointment. If replacing an employee on leave, name the employee on leave. If to perform a project, describe the project. If candidate has been identified for the position, provide the candidate’s name.
- Requisition approvers — verify that all necessary approvers are listed and that any unnecessary approvers are removed. Approvers may be pre-set in UWHIRES by your ES per your request.
- If you have any of the following additional information on your temporary appointment, please include it in the requisition:
- FTE %
- Candidate contact information — phone number, email address.
2. Once all fields are completed, click "Save" at the bottom of the page. This will create your requisition number and allow you to review the requisition in Draft status.
If a candidate has been identified, request the candidate complete the online application profile in UWHIRES.
Be sure to enter the candidate’s name in the "Notes" section of the UWHIRES requisition. Include UW employee ID if available.
Your ES will attach the candidate as the final (or only) candidate to the requisition.
If you do not have a candidate identified, list in the "Notes" section this is an open recruitment temporary position.
Next step: Get your requisition approved.
Appt. Hiring Topics
We are making upgrades to UWHIRES. Before you log in, check here to view a list of bugs/errors currently affecting the Hiring Manager Workbench and to learn about the latest system improvements.
Need access to UWHIRES? Contact your Employment Specialist.
Need to extend a fixed duration appointment? Contact your Employment Specialist.
Need help with UWHIRES? Call or email our help desk at 206-543-2544.