Direct Hire Temporary
Post-offer — Medical Centers
After the offer is accepted, you will need to complete UWHIRES requisition close-out activities to ensure candidate applicant flow information has been documented. Human Resources will take care of the rest.
Update the Hire
You must first track your new hire in UWHIRES:
- Log into UWHIRES.
- In the Requisition view, scroll down to the "Candidates" tab.
- Click on the "Add Activity" link for the candidate who as accepted the offer. This will open the "Add Activity" screen.
- Select "Hired/Accepted" from the "Activity Type" drop down.
- Click "Save." The "Candidate New Hire" screen will appear.
- Enter the following information:
- Hire date — date offer was accepted
- Start date — date new employee will start
- End date — anticipated appointment end date
- Salary amount — defaults to the amount from the "Offer Approval" page
- Starting salary: "Pay Table-Range or Grade" auto-fills based on the job code
- For classified positions, enter the correct Salary Step in the range that was offered to and accepted by the candidate. If entered in "Offer Details," this defaults from there.
- Your Human Resources employment specialist will complete the remaining fields.
Next, Human Resources will perform the following post-hire activities for you:
- Send new hire confirmation letter.
- Send the Temporary Employment Notice to the employee and copy to hiring manager.
- OPUS payroll entry.
- Complete background checks.
- Medical Center orientation registration (includes Husky Card and photo identification name badge for new employee).
- Patient Care Services orientation (scheduling as job applicable).
- Ambulatory Care Services orientation (scheduling as job applicable).
- Collect completed payroll paperwork.
Then, hiring managers at UWMC and Harborview are responsible for completing the following post-hire activities:
- Departmental orientation: Providing your new employee with a tour of the department, making introductions, discussing departmental emergency procedures, performance expectations, annual and sick leave request and use, etc.
- Setting up computer logins (after receiving the Employee ID).
- If new employee is a current UW employee, obtaining payroll records by contacting the payroll coordinator from the new employee's previous department.
- Collecting new employee's orientation completion confirmation.
- If an employee does not have an email address, the hiring manager is expected to provide the employee with a copy of the Temporary Employment Notice.
- Hiring managers should review the information contained in the Temporary Employment Notice with the new employee as part of their departmental orientation.
Some temporary positions are benefits eligible. Learn more.
Reminder: All new appointments, including temporary appointments, must be entered into the UW payroll system on or before their first day of employment.
Need help with UWHIRES? Call or email our help desk at 206-543-2544.