Professional Staff Compensation
Temporary Pay Increase - Administrative Supplement
- Temporary Pay Increase
- A professional staff employee who for ten working days or more temporarily assumes additional responsibilities may receive a temporary pay increase. A Temporary Pay Increase (TPI) requires prior approval of the Compensation Office.
- Administrative Supplement
- A lump sum amount added to an employee's gross monthly salary to recognize the assumption of higher level administrative responsibilities. Only overtime exempt professional staff are eligible to receive administrative supplements.
Processing a Temporary Pay Increase or Administrative Supplement Request
- Complete the Temporary Pay Increase or Administrative Supplement Request form.
- Obtain all required approvals for the proposed action, i.e., supervisor, department, dean/vice president/medical center CEO/COO.
- Submit the form to the Compensation Office and keep copies of the documentation supporting the request. You will need a copy of the original (or most recent extension) request in order to submit a request to extend an existing TPI.
- Keep copies of your documentation submitted. You will need a copy of the original (or most recent extension) request in order to submit a request for extension of an existing Temporary Pay Increase (TPI) or Administrative Supplement (ADS).
The Compensation Office reviews the request, and sends email notification when the action has been approved (usually within three business days after receipt). The Compensation Office will request additional information from the department if needed.
- After receiving approval, provide your departmental payroll coordinator with an electronic copy of the approval email.
- The payroll coordinator enters the action into the Online Payroll Update System (OPUS) according to the instructions provided in the approval email. Medical centers payroll actions are processed centrally; contact email@example.com at UWMC or firstname.lastname@example.org at HMC for specific payroll processing information.
- To extend an existing TPI or ADS, use your original TPI or ADS request (or most recent extension). On the first available “Extension Request#” line, provide the requested extension end date, and the justification for the extension. Submit to the Compensation Office as described above.
Extending a Temporary Pay Increase or Administrative Supplement
- Use your original TPI or ADS request form (or most recent extension).
- On the first available “Extension Request#” line, provide the requested extension end date, and the justification for the extension.
- Submit to the Compensation Office as described above for processing a temporary pay increase or administrative supplement request.