Skip navigation - Jump to page content
UWHR to launch new website at end of July! Learn more about the upcoming launch.

Classified Non-Union Leave
Overtime & Compensatory Time


Overtime is additional compensation that an employer must pay when an employee in an overtime eligible position works more than a specified number of hours during a designated period of time, as determined by federal regulations and state civil service rules.

An overtime eligible classified non-union employee receives overtime pay at the rate of time and one half when the employee works more than:

Part-time employees receive overtime pay only when the hours worked exceed forty (40) hours in a work week.  Payment for hours worked beyond the regular part time schedule but less than forty (40) hours in a work week is at straight-time.

The University’s compensation plan identifies the classifications that are overtime-eligible in the “OT Eligible Column”.  Positions that are not overtime-eligible are overtime-exempt.

Employees in overtime-exempt positions do not receive overtime payment or accumulate compensatory time. However, when the supervisor requires the employee to work an excessive number of hours over an extended time period, the supervisor may authorize that the employee receive compensatory time on a straight time basis.

Effect of Non-Work Hours

Paid holidays, including the personal holiday, are considered as time worked for purposes of calculating overtime.  Paid leave is not counted as time worked for overtime calculation. 

Compensatory Time

Overtime eligible employees must be paid for overtime hours worked unless the employee requests and receives supervisory approval to receive compensatory time off instead of payment. An employer cannot require an employee to accept compensatory time off instead of receiving overtime payment. Compensatory time is accumulated at the rate of 1.5 hours of compensatory time for each overtime hour worked.

Accumulated compensatory time may not exceed 240 hours and must be used or paid annually by June 30 in accordance with University policy.

A representative of the department's Human Resources Operations office must authorize any supervisory request for extension of the deadline.

In most University departments taking compensatory time off work requires advance supervisory approval.

Moving Between UW Departments and Leaving UW Employment

Employees are paid for accumulated, unused compensatory time when moving between University departments or leaving University employment. Payment is based upon the salary at the time of separation.


Be sure that you:

  1. Know if you are in an overtime-eligible position or an overtime-exempt position.  Ask your supervisor or department administrator if you are not sure.
  2. Understand your department’s time keeping and time reporting procedures and follow them.
  3. Understand any requirements or policies that your unit has regarding overtime.  Most University departments require that overtime-eligible employees receive advance approval to work overtime.
  4. Promptly and correctly use your department’s time keeping and reporting procedures to report all hours worked.

If you work approved overtime and wish to receive compensatory time instead of overtime payment, follow your department’s procedure for requesting compensatory time.  Compensatory time can be used as soon as it is accumulated.


Questions regarding hours of work, work period designations, and overtime or compensatory time should be directed to the department’s area Human Resources Operations office.

Learn more about overtime eligibility and compensation and Fair Labor Standards Act requirements.

Classified Non-Union
Leave Topics