Professional Staff Program
Appendix C - Job Evaluation Factors
These factors are evaluated to determine a position's salary grade assignment.
A. ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum number of years formal education.
- Years of relevant work experience.
B. JOB CONTENT:
Difficulty of Thinking and Problem Solving
- How specifically is direction given to incumbent.
- Degree incumbent's work typically monitored.
- Degree incumbent can obtain authoritative advice.
- Degree established rules, instruction, and/or procedures apply.
- Degree precedents apply to job duties.
- Degree of freedom in selecting methods used.
- Degree incumbent schedules own work.
- Time it typically takes to determine effectiveness of work.
- Degree of problem-solving involving integration of information/recommendations.
- Degree of decision making involving theoretical/subjective judgments.
- Extent of resourceful development/application of new approaches, etc.
- (a) Institutional officers (regents, President, vice presidents); (b) Deans, assistant vice presidents, heads of major administrative/academic departments.
- (a) Faculty and/or staff; (b) Students and/or patients.
- General public.
- Responsibility for personnel staffing.
- Number of staff.
- Number of separate functional areas.
- Externally imposed deadlines.
- Responding to questions on immediate basis.
- Irregular work week.
C. RESPONSIBILITY AND IMPACT ON END RESULTS:
- How influential is the position within the institution?
- Likely effect resulting from type of errors?
- Impact on the fiscal affairs of the institution?
- Importance of impact on the end results of institution?