Skip navigation - Jump to page content
UWHR to launch new website at end of July! Learn more about the upcoming launch.

Entering Trial Service Period Dates


The trial service period is the period following a classified employee's movement without a break (e.g. transfer or promotion) during which the supervisor, and in some bargaining units, the employee determines whether the employee is a good match for the position. The length of the trial service period varies from six weeks to six months depending on the collective bargaining agreement or civil service rules that apply to the position. If any leave is taken during an employee’s trial service period, the trial service period end date must be extended by the amount of leave used.


To enter or change an employee’s trial service period dates, open the employee’s record and follow these steps:

1. Click on the 'Profile' tab at the top of the screen. 2. Click on the 'Edit Employee Profile' button.

3. Click on the 'Yes' button under 'Trial Service Period.' 4. Enter the appropriate start and end dates. 5. Click 'Save.'

Note: If you change or add a trial service period start date that precedes the current calendar month, you will need to resubmit all prior months.

6. Click on the “Calendar” tab at the top of the page.

7. Click the "Submit Month and Send PERM" button to re-release each month to be updated to the present.


The length of a trial service period is determined by the employee’s union bargaining contract. Classified non-union employees should refer to WAC 357 to determine their trial service period length.