Pre Duty Background Check and Drug Test
Each person who is assigned CDL driving responsibilities
must have a pre duty background screen to determine whether
the person may have had a positive drug or alcohol test
with a previous employer. The results of the background
screen do not have to be received before driving is
Follow these steps to perform the background screen:
- The employing unit and the employee complete the
"Consent and Release for Results of Controlled
Substance, Evidential Alcohol Testing and Refusal to
Test History Reports" form (download
- Be sure to include your unit's account number
on the form.
- Retain employee and department copies of the form.
- Fax the form to out testing contractor as specified on
If the results of the background screen indicate a positive
test with another employer, immediately contact your unit's Human
Resources Consultant (HRC).
Pre-Duty Drug Test Requirements
Each person who is assigned CDL driving duties must have a
pre-duty drug test. There is NO pre-duty alcohol
test. The pre-duty drug test is only performed before the
first driving duties are assigned.
Testing Upon Hire
The pre-duty drug test is done immediately after a
conditional job offer is made for all persons who:
- Are required to possess the CDL at the time of
- Will begin CDL driving duties upon hire (or who
will immediately serve as a back up driver) and:
- Have not already had a University of Washington pre
duty drug test.
Testing After Hire and Before Driving
The pre-duty drug test is NOT done at the time
of hire and is only done before driving duties are
assigned for employees who:
- Are not required to possess the CDL at the time of
hire but who are required to obtain the CDL as a
condition of employment, and who will only be
assigned driving duties (including back-up driving)
after the CDL is obtained.
If the Pre-Duty Test is positive, see the Positive Test webpage and
contact your unit's HRC.
- On the day that you determine that you will send the
individual for testing, complete the Test Authorization Form which
instructs the laboratory what tests are to be
- Hand the employee the FEDERAL
DRUG TESTING CUSTODY AND CONTROL FORM and the
completed Test Authorization Form and notify the employee that he/she is to immediately
go to the designated collection site and present
both forms to the technician or receptionist.
- Note that some labs only do drug tests and
others to both drug and alcohol tests. Pre-duty
testing is only for drugs. No breath alcohol
tests are administered.
- The individual may not refuse or defer the test.
- If the individual refuses for any reason to go for a
test, the refusal must be treated as a positive test. Contact
Specialist (ES) immediately.
- If the drug test is positive, notify your unit's ES.
- If the drug test is negative, complete the Drug and
Alcohol Testing Update form to add the person to your
random test pool and fax it to our
Maintain records relating to post accident testing in
accordance with Records Retention and