Your role at UW includes supervising employees' day-to-day work and long-term performance. Along with taking care of your own work, you must ensure that those on the front-line in your organization succeed. You may be responsible for overseeing employees’ schedules and projects, addressing performance problems, conducting annual performance reviews, and hiring, training, and coaching staff.
POD offers a number of programs, services, and resources to aid you in your role as a supervisor -- or to help you prepare for the role of a supervisor.
- Assessments: POD offers UW ARC 360, a feedback and development program that includes competencies created by POD for front-line supervisors at the UW, along with various assessments to help you explore your communication and work styles.
- Quarterly Courses: Dozens of classes are offered each quarter (many from one-half to two days), including a selection targeted to supervisors who desire the latest skills and information on how to be effective in their role.
- Strategic Leadership Program (SLP) - Level 1: This centrally-funded workshop for new or newly promoted UW supervisors provides a comprehensive education in the essential elements of leadership, in general and specific to the University. Competency areas include decision-making, managing conflict, and effective planning.
- Supervisory Skills Certificate: This certificate provides a targeted learning path of courses for new and aspiring supervisors. UW Human Resources employment specialists and recruiters will credit successful completion of this certificate as equivalent to six months' experience for supervisory positions at UW.
- The Leading Edge: This electronic newsletter offers interviews with UW leaders, as well as expert advice, pertinent news and updates, and articles on leadership skills, workplace trends, and resources for UW mangers, supervisors, directors, and executives.
Learn about POD's professional development offerings.
Other programs, services, and resources for leadership development at the University include the following: