Diabetes Screening & Prevention
An annual diabetes screening is a proven method of detecting prediabetes in its early stages—when it's easier to treat successfully.
One in three American adults has prediabetes, a condition that, if left unchecked, can lead to Type 2 diabetes.1 Most don't even know they have it.
Recent health data shows that PEBB members’ rates for prediabetes and diabetes are in line with national statistics. With the NOT ME Diabetes Prevention Program, together we can change that.
The UW has teamed up with the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) and Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance (DPCA) to bring members the "NOT ME" Diabetes Prevention Program.
This is currently available at no cost to PEBB members who:
- Are age 18 or over
- Are enrolled in Group Health or Uniform Medical Plan (UMP)
- Don't have Medicare as their primary insurance
- Have prediabetes or elevated blood glucose
How the NOT ME Program Works
NOT ME starts with a short quiz to see if you’re at risk for diabetes. The quiz is available in two languages:
If you score 9 or higher on the Risk Quiz, plan to attend a free screening event to find out if you have prediabetes.
- Visit the secure site http://uofw.uswappointment.com to create an account and schedule an appointment, or
- Contact customer service at 866-926-6099 x326 between 5 a.m. - 2 p.m. Pacific Time to schedule an appointment, or
- Drop in the day of a testing event
While no fasting is required for the screening, bring your photo ID and PEBB medical plan card and allow about 15-30 minutes. Testing for elevated blood glucose is easy. It's a quick A1c test (finger stick). Results are available in minutes and they are kept strictly confidential.
Can't attend one of the testing events below? No problem! Look for NOT ME program testing events in a variety of campus locations throughout the year. And remember, you can always request the A1c test from your own physician.
Testing Schedule (click to view):
If you find out you have prediabetes—through a diagnosis from your doctor, or your blood sugar test is in the prediabetes range—you can register for the NOT ME Diabetes Prevention Program at no cost. NOT ME provides a 16-week series of hour-long group coaching sessions held by specially trained coaches. The classes include lifestyle coaching, nutrition counseling, private weekly weigh-ins, detailed program handbook, and follow-up.
- Call DCPA at 800-237-4942 to enroll in a 16-week NOT ME class series on campus (for UW Employees only) or inquire about a series in your neighborhood. (You can enter a class-in-progress up to the third week.)
- Before your first class, call to confirm your appointment date, time, and location.
Once you complete the NOT ME Diabetes Prevention 16-week class series, whether on campus or in your community, we have trained coaches available to help you stay on track. Attend free monthly follow-up ("maintenance") sessions for up to 8 months after you complete your initial class series. This offer also applies to adults 18+ who are on your PEBB health plan.
No registration is necessary, just drop-in.
UW Tower, Building C, Room C-107
Third Tuesday of the month
2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Meet the eligibility criteria shown above.
- Complete the 16-week diabetes prevention class series.
- Is an appointment necessary for the blood sugar testing event?
- Drop-ins are welcome, but employees with scheduled appointments receive first priority. Visit the secure site http://uofw.uswappointment.com to create an account and schedule an appointment. You may also call customer service at 866-926-6099 x326 between 5 a.m. - 2 p.m. PT.
- What can I expect at the testing event?
Each event will differ slightly according to location, but you can generally expect the following:
- Check in at reception table.
- Fill out a privacy form and an event participation form. (You'll need your PEBB health plan ID number do this.)
- Wait to be called for your blood sugar test at which time your clinician will take a quick finger stick.
- Your results will be ready in six minutes. Your clinician will confidentially tell you your results.
You will receive a short private consultation with a NOT ME health coach:
- If your results are in the prediabetes range, the coach will invite you to participate in the NOT ME Diabetes Prevention Program class series.
- If your results are in the diabetes range, the coach will refer you to your health care provider for support.
- The entire appointment should take 15-30 minutes. Your results are kept strictly confidential. The only information shared with your health plan is whether you receive a test, and whether you attend NOT ME Diabetes Prevention Program classes.
- Can I invite my family members to the testing event?
Family members can participate in the testing event as long as they:
- Are enrolled in a PEBB medical plan.
- Are age 18 or over.
- Don't have Medicare as their primary insurance.
- I don't have PEBB coverage. Can I still sign up for the testing event?
- No. The testing event is only available to PEBB members. Check with your insurance plan to see if it offers any similar diabetes prevention services. We encourage everyone to learn about prediabetes and diabetes risks.
- If I already have diabetes, do I need to go to a testing event to participate in a diabetes program?
- No, you do not need to attend a testing event. All PEBB plans have support programs for managing diabetes. Uniform Medical Plan members can participate in the NOT ME Diabetes Control Program; call 800-650-2885 for details and to enroll. Group Health or Kaiser members should contact their plan to see what programs are available to members with diabetes.
- My doctor already told me I'm prediabetic. Do I need to go to the testing event to participate in NOT ME classes, or can I just sign up?
- If you already know you have prediabetes or elevated blood glucose, you can sign up for the NOT ME Diabetes Prevention Program classes directly. You don't have to go to the testing event. Call 800-237-4942 to enroll.
- I'm a UW retiree. Can I participate in the testing event?
You can participate as long as you:
- Are enrolled in a PEBB medical plan.
- Don't have Medicare as your primary insurance.
- Do I have to submit leave to attend the testing event?
- No. Governor Inslee issued an executive order that allows employees of state agencies or higher education institutions to take 30 minutes of work time to go to the event. You don't have to submit a leave request.
- I haven't received my medical plan ID card yet. What should I do?
- Call your medial plan's customer service to find out what your medical plan ID number is. Find your plan's customer service phone number on the PEBB website under “Contact the Plans” on the left menu.
- What are the NOT ME classes and what do they include?
If you find out you have prediabetes—through a diagnosis from your doctor, or your blood sugar tests is in the prediabetes range—you can register for the NOT ME Diabetes Prevention Program at no cost. NOT ME provides a 16-week series of hour-long group coaching sessions held by specially trained coaches. The classes include lifestyle coaching, nutrition counseling, private weekly weigh-ins, detailed program handbook, and follow-up. PEBB members with prediabetes will learn simple steps to:
- Eat healthier
- Boost activity levels
- Lose a modest amount of weight
- Should I confirm my NOT ME class?
- Yes. Call 800-237-4942 to confirm your appointment date, time, and location.
- What happens after my appointment?
- Your insurance company will be billed directly. The results of your exam will be mailed to you and your physician within 7-10 business days.
1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States, 2011. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011.
2This quiz is for general information purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or provide medical advice.