More Benefits to Help You Save
Note: The information on this page is a brief description of UW programs and other benefits. In case of any conflict between this description and official plan documents, provisions of the plan document will govern. Any of these plans may change or stop at any time. And don't forget to check out the UW Discount Program for additional savings.
Auto, Home and Renters Insurance
Faculty, staff, librarians, and retirees may be eligible to receive special discounted group rates on auto, home, and renter insurances through Liberty Mutual Insurance.
- Credit Unions
- The UW has partnered with three local credit unions to help you save more and better manage your finances: Prevail Credit Union, School Employees Credit Union, and Washington State Employees Credit Union. Each are full-service, not-for-profit financial cooperatives offering a comprehensive line of products and services with competitive rates, low or no fees, easy access, and a commitment to making your life easier.
- Guaranteed Education Tuition
- GET is Washington's 529 prepaid college tuition program. With GET, the State of Washington guarantees that the money you save for your child's college education will keep pace with rising college tuition. A UW payroll deduction is not available for this program at this time. Contact GET.
- Husky Card™
- The Husky Card™ is a convenient debit account all currently enrolled UW students, faculty, or staff can establish. It is accepted throughout campus and at the University Book Store and other local businesses. There are no annual fees or transactions fees and no minimum deposit. All deposits are 100% refundable.
- Saver's Credit
- You may be eligible for this tax credit if you make contributions to the UW Voluntary Investment Program (VIP) or to an IRA. It could reduce the federal income tax you pay dollar for dollar, depending on the contributions you make and your income level and filing status.
- Tuition Exemption Program
- The University of Washington offers the Tuition Exemption Program to all eligible faculty and staff on a space-available basis, subject to certain conditions.
- A U-PASS is a complete transportation package, offering UW Seattle faculty, staff, and students full fare coverage on Metrof Transit, Community Transit, and Sound Transit buses and Sounder commuter train service; discounted parking when you ride or drive with someone else; free rides on the Night Ride Shuttle; subsidized vanpool fares; discount rates on Flexcar membership; and discounts at businesses. Harborview, UW Bothell, and UW Tacoma have fiscally separate programs with similar but not identical benefits. Temporary staff are issued a UW FlexPass rather than a U-PASS.
- U.S. Savings Bonds
- Payroll savings allows you to buy Savings Bonds with automatic, regular allotments. U.S. Savings Bonds are among the best savings instruments on the market.
- Voluntary Investment Program
- The VIP is a tax-deferred retirement savings program available to any employee of the University of Washington except students whose wages are exempt from FICA and nonresident aliens who receive no U.S.-source earned income. Academic Student Employees covered by a bargaining agreement that provides for their participation may participate regardless of whether or not they are exempt from FICA. It is not necessary to be in one of the basic retirement plans to use the VIP, and you may enroll at any time.