Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
for School of Medicine/Medical Students
Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance provides you with income if you meet the following criteria:
- Within the first 60 months - You are receiving care from a physician, and are unable to regularly attend school and maintain Student status in good standing.
- After first 60 months from diagnosis- You are receiving care from a physician, and are unable to regularly attend school and maintain Student status in good standing, and you are unable to do any work for pay or profit, for which you are reasonably able because of education, training or experience.
- Seropositive HIV - Paid as a Total Disability Claim.
- AIDS Diagnosis - Paid as a Total & Permanent Disability Claim.
- Global Emergency Travel Services program through Assist America. This feature provides an array of services when traveling 100 miles or more from your home, school or residence. It offers services such as medical repatriation and emergency medical evacuation.
Full-time students enrolled in the School of Medicine at the University of Washington are eligible for this coverage.
- Monthly Benefit – If you are found to be totally disabled you would receive $1,100 per month for the remainder of your life or until your disability ends; plus a one-time Lump Sum payment of $5,000 after 12 months of total and permanent disability.
- Benefit Offsets - If you are found to be totally disabled, or totally and permanently disabled, any pay or other compensation in excess of $3,000 to which you are entitled from any employer is deducted from the benefit payment.
- Loan Payoff Benefit - Repayment of up to $200,000 of eligible debt.
The premium is $65.00 for the 2014 - 2015 year, and must be paid in full upon application, and paid in full annually thereafter.
Coverage will be effective from October 1, 2014 through September 30, 2015.
- You must apply within the first 31 days of eligibility and will not need to provide evidence of good health. Enroll by completing the School of Medicine Medical Student LTD Enrollment Form.
- Mail completed enrollment form to:
Professional Benefit Consultant, Inc.
7525 SE 24th Street, Suite 350
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Checks should be made payable to Standard Insurance MPA Program
File a Claim
Standard Insurance must receive written notice of a claim before the
end of the 90-day elimination period. For assistance in filing a claim,
contact Parker, Smith & Feek at 425-709-3600 and ask for the Benefits
The information provided above is only a summary of benefits and coverage.
The master policy supersedes any discrepancies in summary and determines
actual coverage. Upon registration confirmation, please read your
policy for a complete description of benefits and coverage.
for SOM/Health Sciences Students