Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP)
Summary of Benefits
Your health benefits are an important part of a graduate appointment offer from the University of Washington. The UW provides these benefits at no cost for eligible graduate appointees as part of the UW/UAW contract.
Highlights of the Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP) may be downloaded in .pdf format at Summary of GAIP Benefits. Further information and resources are listed below.
Plan ID Card
Plan ID cards are issued to you by LifeWise at the time of enrollment. If you need temporary proof of coverage you may download a temporary ID card by logging into the secure member portal at: http://student.lifewiseac.com/uw/gaip/
You may also request a new ID card with the secure member portal.
Plan Book and Summaries
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
Dual coverage under the Student Health Insurance Plan and GAIP is not allowed.
The following criteria apply to both SHIP:
- In the event you are enrolled in both GAIP and SHIP, your SHIP coverage will be waived in favor of your GAIP coverage (for you and your dependents). You can elect to add your dependents to your GAIP coverage. To do so, you must enroll your dependents online with LifeWise within the enrollment deadlines for dependents.
- If you purchased annual coverage under SHIP and you later become eligible for GAIP during the plan year, your SHIP coverage will be cancelled starting from when you become eligible for GAIP coverage. You may be able to get a refund for SHIP premiums already paid by notifying the Benefits Office by the third Friday of the quarter, however:
- A $25 SHIP cancellation fee applies.
- You may not re-enroll in SHIP during the same plan year.
- If you subsequently lose eligibility under GAIP, you can continue coverage under the GAIP using the self-pay option.
Other Student Health Insurance Programs:
Student Wellness Programs: