Skip navigation - Jump to main content
- Title: Visiting Scientist
- Job Class Code: 0437
- Service Period: 1-12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: Eligible for health insurance, but not for retirement. Should not be the instructor of record for any course.
- Length of Appointment Term: 3 months for US Citizens, 3 years for non-US citizens.
- Eligible for tenure: No
- Voting Rights: No
- Allowed Earn Types: REG, WOS, S/L
- Salary Requirements: Must meet University Minimum Salary Requirements.
- Full-time/part-time: Both
- Promotable: No
- Search Required: No
- Required Approvals: No AHR approval required prior to OPUS entry.
New Appointment Details
- Educational/Experience Details: Must not be an enrolled student at home institution.
- Documentation Required:
- Dean/Chancellor's Letter, or concurrence on Chair/Director's Letter
- Chair/Director's Letter
- Letters of Recommendation (3 preferred, 1 is mandatory)
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography Form, signed
- Visa Documents, if applicable
- Background check documents, if applicable
- May be reappointed on a quarterly or annual basis
- Emeritus Eligibility: No
- If the faculty member leaves prior to the end of their appointment, a resignation letter should be sent to AHR.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.