Skip navigation - Jump to main content
Research Associate Professor
- Title: Research Associate Professor
- Job Class Code: 0142
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: Appointment with the rank of Research Associate Professor requires qualifications corresponding to those of an Associate Professor but with primary emphasis on research.
- Length of Appointment: One to five year terms, renewable indefinitely
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: Eligible with 50% or more appointment.
- Earn types: REG, PDR, WOS, LWO, S/L, TPS, ADS, ENS, E/C, MLP
- Salary Requirements: Must meet University minimum.
- Full Time/Part-time: Both. Faculty may be appointed to research professorial ranks on less than full-time basis. The percentage of appointment must be clearly documented at the time of hire. The percent of appointment may affect voting rights.
- Promotable: Yes
- National Search Required: Yes
- Required Approvals: AHR approval required prior to OPUS entry
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements: must have terminal degree
- Documentation Required:
- Original Dean/Chancellor's letter to President recommending appointment should include:
- Start date and service period
- Original Chair/Director's letter to Dean/Chancellor recommending appointment should include:
- Original offer letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW biography form, signed
- Academic Human Resources Ad Approval Notice
- Copy of job advertisement
- Applicant Flow Confirmation Page
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Background check documents, if applicable
- Email approval from Academic Human Resources must be received by the hiring unit prior to entering the appointment in OPUS. This email approval must be included in the notes section of the PERM
- Promotion to the full Professor level is not a function of time in rank nor length of service. Every faculty member below the rank of Professor must be considered each year for possible promotion.
- Research faculty promotions must meet all criteria and procedures that apply to regular faculty promotion, except evaluation of teaching. If promotion is recommended in the last year of a Research Associate Professor's appointment, a reappointment recommendation should be submitted in addition to a separate promotion recommendation.
- The reappointment decision must be made in the last year of appointment, six months (or in the case of an initial annual appointment, three months) before the appropriate expiration date. Reappointment is independent of current or future salary availability.
- There is no limit on the number of reappointments that can be made as Research Associate Professor.
- Emeritus Eligibility: Yes, see Research Associate Professor Emeritus
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year.
- The unit should attempt to obtain such a letter with a statement from the faculty member indicating the name and address of next employer.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.