Skip navigation - Jump to main content
- Title: Research Associate-Trainee
- Job Class Code: 0150
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: must be within 6 years after receipt of terminal degree; Research Associate is considered a junior rank and requires recent completion of professional training (in many fields marked by a PhD) and the promise of a successful career in research. Research Associate appointees will work under the direction of principal investigators for the benefit of the research programs, the department's educational program and their own professional growth. Participation in the regular instructional program of a department is not required of a Research Associate, but it should be encouraged. Faculty holding this title may not be principal investigators on grants or contracts. A faculty member who is awarded a fellowship or trainee award will retain his/her present academic rank and title in addition to the Research Associate designation.
- Length of Appointment: One to three year terms for a maximum of 6 years, may not hold appointment for more than 6 years after receipt of terminal degree unless an exception has been approved by AHR.
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting rights: No
- Allowable Earn Types: TRN, LWO, TSL, MLP
- Salary Requirements: Must meet University minimum on a twelve-month basis unless funded by NSF or NIH; then must meet minimum for corresponding funding source. Research Associate-Trainees receive funding from training grants only (Status determined at time grant is accepted by University).
- Full-time/Part-time: Both
- Promotable: No
- National Search Required: No
- Required Approvals: AHR approval not required prior to OPUS entry
New Appointment Details
- Educational/Experience Requirements: Terminal degree, usually a PhD
- Documentation Required:
- Dean/Chancellor's letter, or concurrence on Chair/Director's letter if it contains the following information:
- Start date and service period
- Chair/Director's letter, including faculty vote (unless Chair/Director has designated authority to appoint)
- Letters of recommendation (3 preferred, minimum 1)
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW Biography form, signed
- Background check documents, if applicable
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Not a promotable title.
- A Research Associate who is a temporary appointee at a junior faculty level-cannot subsequently be placed into an existing, permanent research faculty position without a national search (unless a search took place and was documented at the time the postdoctoral appointment was made).
- May not be renewed for more than 6 years.
- A Research Associate should be notified about the termination date of his/her appointment at least one-half year in advance of that date, and a dated note should be placed in the file that such notification has occurred.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.