Skip navigation - Jump to main content
Professor without Tenure, 3 year
- Title: Professor without Tenure, 3 year
- Job Class Code: 0118
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: Appointment to the rank of Professor requires a record of substantial success in both teaching and research, except that in exceptional cases an outstanding record in one of these activities may be considered sufficient.
- Length of Appointment: 3 years
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: Eligible with 50% or more appointment.
- Earn types: REG, PDR, LWO, S/L, TPS, ADS, ENS
- WOS may only be used for an unpaid joint appointment
- Salary Requirements: Must meet University minimum.
- Full-time/Part-time: Both. Faculty may be appointed to professorial ranks on less than full-time basis. The percentage of appointment must be clearly documented at the time of hire. The percent of appointment may affect voting rights.
- Promotable: Mandatory review for award of tenure
- National Search Required: Yes
- Additional Information:
- This title is used for those with professional experience rather than academic experience. Teaching time is required to be eligible for tenure review.
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements: Must have a terminal degree
- Documentation Required:
- Original Dean/Chancellor's letter to President recommending appointment should include:
- Start date and service period
- Original Chair/Director's letter to Dean/Chancellor recommending appointment should include:
- Original offer letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW biography form, signed
- Academic Human Resources Ad Approval Notice
- Copy of job advertisement
- Applicant Flow Confirmation Page
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Background check documents, if applicable
- Email approval from Academic Human Resources must be received by the hiring unit prior to entering the appointment in OPUS. This email approval must be included in the notes section of the PERM
- Mandatory review in the spring of the second year to convert to Professor
- Emeritus Eligibility: N/A
- A faculty member has a professional obligation to give a written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Normally such resignations should be given at least three months prior to the termination date, or within 15 days of notification of terms of a reappointment, whichever occurs later, and should ordinarily become effective at the end of an academic year.
- The unit should attempt to obtain such a letter with a statement from the faculty member indicating the name and address of next employer.
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS.