Skip navigation - Jump to main content
APL Assistant Professor without Tenure
- Title: APL Assistant Professor without Tenure
- Job Class Code: 0106
- Service Period: 12 months
- Limitations on Appointment: Appointment to the rank of APL Assistant Professor WOT requires a primary professional staff appointment in APL controlling the terms of employment.
- Length of Appointment:
- Normally held for a total of six years. The initial appointment is for a three-year term. In the second year, a decision is made concerning renewal of the appointment for a second three-year term. In the sixth year of appointment, the review for promotion to the Associate Professor level takes place. If promotion is denied, the appointment is extended for a seventh, terminal year.
- This appointment will expire no later than the date the individual separates from the APL professional staff employment.
- Eligible for Tenure: No
- Voting Rights: Voting status determined at time of appointment
- Earn types: WOS, all salary distributions will be made through the professional staff position.
- Salary Requirements: Determined by and paid through APL professional staff position
- Full-time/Part-time: Faculty appointment to correspond to primary staff appointment percentage.
- Promotable: Yes, WOT faculty promotion timelines and procedures followed; however, faculty promotion increases do not apply to this appointment.
- Competitive Recruitment Required: Yes
- Additional Information:
- A copy of the joint agreement between the responsible administrative unit, APL and the appointing academic unit, and the signed memorandum of understanding that outlines the conditions of the appointment must be submitted to AHR with the appointment packet.
- For an Assistant Professor with a part-time appointment of 50% or greater, the first term of appointment is three years. The renewal procedures outlined above still apply, but the length of the second term of appointment varies according to the percentage of appointment:
- 90%-100%: three years
- 70%-89%: four years
- 60%-69%: five years
- 50%-59%: six years
- In all cases, the mandatory review for promotion must be made during the last year of the second appointment term.
- Adjustments in mandatory renewal year or promotion year: The counting of appointment years may be adjusted in two ways. First, the mandatory renewal and promotion dates are extended by one year if the faculty member takes a leave of absence that is both (1) more than 50% time and (2) six months or more in length during an academic year. Second, a faculty member who becomes a parent may apply for a waiver of one year in the count toward renewal and promotion, with a possible extension of a second year. (To apply for the waiver, the faculty member should send a requesting memo, with the Chair/Director's approval, to their Dean/Chancellor's Office.)
New Appointment Details
- Educational Requirements: Determined by primary professional staff recruitment.
- Documentation Required:
- Original Dean/Chancellor's letter to President recommending appointment should include:
- Start date and service period
- Original Chair/Director's letter to Dean/Chancellor recommending appointment should include:
- Memorandum of Understanding signed by the responsible administrative unit, APL, appointing Dean and candidate
- Original offer letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- UW biography form, signed
- Academic Human Resources Ad Approval Notice
- Copy of job advertisement
- Applicant Flow Confirmation Page
- Visa documents, if applicable
- Background check documents, if applicable
- Email approval from Academic Human Resources must be received by the hiring unit prior to entering the appointment in OPUS. This email approval must be included in the notes section of the PERM
- Assistant Professors WOT must be reviewed in their sixth year of appointment (unless the appointment is part-time) and a recommendation should be made concerning promotion to the Associate Professor level. These appointments are not eligible for tenure.
- Promotion may be recommended prior to the sixth year; however, the candidate must have a strong, clearly demonstrated record of achievement in order to merit approval of an early promotion.
- Possible recommendations at time of promotion in the mandatory year:
- Recommend approval.
- Recommend denial. The candidate's appointment is then extended to a seventh and terminal year. Reconsideration of promotion in the seventh year is not allowed.
- Recommend postponement of the decision (the unit must specifically vote on a motion for postponement). A postponement can be made only in the sixth, mandatory year. In such cases the candidate is notified in writing by the Dean/Chancellor that if promotion is not approved in the seventh year, the appointment will terminate at the end of the second succeeding academic year (the eighth year of appointment).
- Unsuccessful faculty promotion reviews will not affect the individual’s primary APL professional staff employment and may not be challenged.
- Reappointment normally occurs during the second year of a three year term. There are three decisions that can be made:
Reappointment documentation: Reappointment decisions must be communicated in writing to an Assistant Professor before the end of the year in which the decision is mandatory
- Recommend renewal of the appointment for a period which extends through the academic year in which a decision on promotion is required.
- Recommend non-renewal of the appointment, with termination at the end of the third year.
- Recommend postponement of the decision for one year (the unit must specifically vote on a motion for postponement). In such cases, mandatory promotion consideration in the sixth (or final) year still applies. After a postponement, the unit must consider the appointment renewal again in the third year of the candidate's initial appointment. If, in the third year, a decision is made to terminate, the candidate's appointment is extended to a fourth and terminal year.
- Emeritus Eligibility: No
- Irrespective of the general terms of a WOT professorial appointment, this WOT appointment will expire no later than the date the individual separates from the APL professional staff employment (e.g. resignation, termination, or retirement).
- Separation action needs to be entered in OPUS