The UW has established a relationship with Automatic Sync Technologies for captioning services using their system called CaptionSync. CaptionSync includes an easy-to-use web interface for uploading video and getting captions back via email.
A variety of services are available for campus users.
- Captioning-only: If user provides transcripts, pricing is $1.15 per minute of content for caption files. Turnaround time for caption files is approximately 20 minutes.
- Transcription-only: If user requests transcript files only, it is $1.50 per minute of content. Turnaround time is 3 business days.
- Transcription and Captioning: If AST creates transcript and caption files, pricing is $2.65 per minute of content. Turnaround time is 3 business days.
Rush and translation services are also available.
The UW accounts are set up as “bill in arrears” which means that you receive a bill for services used at the end of every month. Each unit sets up an account, and each account can have multiple users.
Visit the CaptionSync Getting Started page to establish your unit account.
How to add caption files to video
The final product that CaptionSync delivers to your email is one or more caption files, in the output format specified when you submitted your media. The final step is to add this caption file to your video. How you do this depends on where your video is hosted. Select one of the following options:
- Adding captions to YouTube videos
- Adding captions to videos on web pages
- Adding captions to videos in Panopto
- Adding captions to videos in Canvas
Note: It is important to host videos in a format or location that supports captions. Some media players and video hosting providers do not support captions at all, and should therefore be avoided for hosting UW videos.