Resources for Students
The following resources can help you be successful in computing and IT academic programs and careers.
- AccessComputing News - a newsletter describing events and activities of the AccessComputing project.
- AccessComputing Stories - students, mentors, and partners with disabilities share their experiences as they pursue computing degrees and careers.
- AccessComputing Team Application - for high school, college, and graduate students with disabilities who would like to engage in stimulating conversations with each other and with mentors and learn about internship and other opportunities in computing fields.
- Advancing Deaf & Hard of Hearing in Computing - an AccessComputing project specifically devoted to increasing the participation of individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing in computing fields. This program includes a 9-week Summer Academy for Advancing Deaf & Hard of Hearing in Computing on the campus of the University of Washington, designed to build skills in math and science for those who may be considering computing as a career and are ready to enter or are in college. Watch the Summer Academy video to learn more about the program.
- Computing as Career: Perspectives of Individuals Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing - learn about careers in computing fields.
- The Opportunities! newsletter helps students with disabilities learn about careers in computing, locate resources, apply for internships and scholarships, engage in research, and attend events such as job fairs. The newsletter is available in pdf and text versions.
- Saturday Computing Experience - a program that introduces students who are deaf and hard of hearing and fifteen to eighteen years of age to computers and computer programming using project-based learning strategies.
- The Student Lounge - a comprehensive website for preparing for and succeeding in college and careers.
- Veterans Center - resources for veterans with disabilities, faculty, and administrators for creating accessible postsecondary environments.
- Workshop for Emerging Deaf and Hard of Hearing Scientists White Paper - Information and resources from an AccessComputing-sponsored workshop, including information about the climate for scientists who are deaf or hard of hearing, student research opportunities, resources for students, and interpreting in STEM fields.