AccessComputing Partner: National Technical Institute for the Deaf, Rochester Institute of Technology
National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) AccessComputing Team Members
David Lawrence is an Associate Professor of Information and Computing Studies at NTID. He helps with video data conferencing.
Brian Trager is an Assistant Professor in the college of NTID at RIT. He teaches programming, hardware and Web-related courses. Brian's research agenda focuses on accessible educational technologies and direct learning benefits among deaf and hard-of-hearing students.
As a part of their participation in AccessComputing, NTID at Rochester Institute of Technology:
- has a representative on AccessComputing phone calls;
- participates in an AccessComputing Community of Practice;
- participated in an AccessComputing Capacity-Building Institute;
- hosts interns with disabilities;
- makes their college more accessible and more welcoming to students with disabilities, including those with multiple disabilities;
- collects data about students with disabilities at their institution;
- works to improve accessibility of their website and publications;
- extends their use of video conferencing to help students meet other students with and without disabilities; they plan to partner with Gallaudet University on some of these conferences; and
- hosts a computing summer program for middle school students who are deaf and hard of hearing.