Among the strategies for meeting AccessComputing objectives for serving veterans is a Community of Practice (CoP) for veteran stakeholder groups. Communicating using email and other electronic tools, CoP members share perspectives and expertise, and identify practices that promote the participation of veterans with disabilities in postsecondary education and careers, including those in computing and IT fields. Collaborators can also receive support from AccessComputing staff in making their project activities more accessible (e.g., assistance in the design of an accessible website, suggestions for recruiting and accommodating veterans with disabilities).
The AccessComputing Veterans CoP is populated by veterans with disabilities, service providers, and volunteer mentors. Members
- interact regularly to improve service to veterans with disabilities and their families;
- discuss how to recruit veterans with disabilities and accommodate them in their programs and activities;
- devise solutions that increase the accessibility of their program offerings;
- develop internships, academies, and workshops to complement their program activities;
- identify, recruit, and accommodate eligible AccessComputing participants;
- co-sponsor events, discuss potential projects, and share funding possibilities;
- help plan and recruit participants for CBIs;
- share common concerns in their practices;
- identify problems, goals, and resources;
- assess change; and
- form collaborations.
To join the Veterans CoP, send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org and express your interest in joining the Veterans CoP:
- Postal address
- Email address