Table of Contents Previous Chapter Hardware maintenance tips.
Some simple ideas that will help keep your hardware alive and healthy.
- Shutdown, then power off the system before changing any part or plug (exceptions: serial port devices and ethernet interfaces)
- Use anti-static mat and/or wrist strap
- Be firm but gentle when seating boards, chips, connectors, etc.
- Keep it clean, especially air filters & ventilation paths
- Leave it powered up all the time (exception: video display)
- Don't drink anything around your machinery
- Put a power surge suppressor on the power line
- Avoid vibrations and shocks (e.g., avoid stacking components)
Table of Contents Next Chapter